Monday, January 2, 2012

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that it is already 2012!  This past year has just flown by and I am shocked by my lack of updates on the blog.  Well, actually - I'm not.  December is always the CRAZIEST month for me with all of the awesome studio work that Christmas brings along with it.  Add in a few weddings, and my own anniversary, and well - I usually end up sick and completely sleep deprived and delirious by the time Christmas Day rolls around.  It's not exactly the best way to be spending time with your loved ones - lol!!


This year I had to add in the mix an array of computer issues.  Ugh!  My laptops that I love to use (b/c I can sit on the couch and edit pics while watching tv) are really old and struggling to keep up with me.  Then one got a virus that necessitated it to be wiped completely clean!  I am always really good about backing up customer's pictures, but I always put mine off.  So I had to rush around and take hours and hours to back up an INSANE amount of pictures.  Like 11,000 pictures.  On a slow, ancient laptop.  Sigh.  It's just not what I wanted to deal with at Christmas. 


At least the pictures are all saved and backed up.  The computer has been restored with new and faster software.  Lightroom 3 anyone?  Ya, I have new programs to learn.  It's both a "YAY" and a "Awww MAN" feeling at the same time.  I am still not completely issue free either.  The hubby is currently working on networking the computer.  I can't gain access to the server and see or access any of my awesome pictures.  Which also means, no cool blog posts full of pictures.  The hubby has an awesome computer (which I am currently on), but he needs it for work, school, and games (ugh!), so I don't always have access to it either.  AND one of the big things that I wanted to do was update my website while on break.  I have seriously taken some super awesome pictures lately and I want to show them off to the world.  The next bad news is that I lost all of the website templates when the computer died.  I have access to some of them through my website, but I will kind of have to start over from scratch b/c I am not a web designer. Sigh.  Starting to feel my stress? (Complete with eye twitches!!)

I have had several friends respond with, "Get a Mac, and you won't have these problems."  It's tempting.  But expensive.  And I know nothing about Macs.  And my hubby hates them.  He builds PC's.  A Mac in the house might be grounds for divorce.  (Ok, not really, but I swear he won't help me with it one bit.  Lol!)


So for those of you still reading along out there (all twelve of you), this is the side of business that sucks!  OMG!  It can be hard and tough at times.  Most people only represent the shiny glossy side of this world.  People think it's all fun and games, and lots of money and glamor.  I could only wish!  I find that most of us don't want to talk about the negatives, and I have even found myself lately not even posting things on fb for fear of sounding too down or dismal.  I wish I had a magic wand to wave all the bad away and magically make it go away.  Of course I could be charging more for sessions and then just hire someone else to deal with it right?  There's an idea....

While it may seem like I'm complaining, I'm really not.  I am just like a bazillion other photographers and entrepreneurs out there just working hard to make it.  I really want to MAKE IT!  I am determined to get somewhere in this business, and these are the issues and the drive it takes to deal with and overcome these obstacles.  I really enjoy it - not the obstacles - but the people, the creativity, and the shooting.  I love learning every bit about it, and I love making people happy through my work.  One of the best Christmas presents I had this season (other than a super awesome 35mm prime lens from the hubby) was getting to deliver prints and photo gifts to customers this season.  We even surprised quite a few, and those were the best reactions!  Watching people cry tears of joy and happiness over images we created just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  <3


It's a little late, but Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah.  I hope you all had an awesome time with family and friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment